Upwork skill tests will help back up your qualifications for the services you offer and is necessary to help your profile shine! Think of it as a board or licensure exam for your niche. Passing skill tests makes you legit.
However, it's helpful to note that skill tests do not directly impact your success on Upwork. It's really just to help you create a 100% complete profile.
Most clients don't check whether you've passed a specific skill test or not. They only care about how you can help them solve their problem.
Why should you take Upwork skill tests?
- It looks great on your profile!
- It establishes your credibility and shows your competence.
- Upwork clients use skill tests to determine if you’re a good fit.
What skill tests should you take?
- Start with the skills you have listed on your profile.
- When you see a project that you’re interested in, take the skills tests that correspond to the requested qualifications.
- Take tests featured on the profiles of freelancers in your field.
For starters, I'd highly recommend taking these three essential tests:
- U.S. English Basic Skills Test
- English Spelling Test (U.S. Version)
- English Vocabulary Test (U.S. Version)
Things to keep in mind:
- Testing requirements
- NOTE: If you fail, you need to wait for 90 days to be able to retake the test, so don’t waste your chances.
How are you scored/ranked?
- All tests are scored on a scale of 0.0 to 5.0, with 5.0 being highest. The passing level for most tests is 2.5 out of 5.0.
- Upwork does not provide a comprehensive review of all your answers, so you would not know which questions you got right or wrong. However, you may view your results by topic to get a better sense of your strengths and weaknesses.
Take Action Now!
- Decide on what tests to take.
- After you’ve determined what test/s to take, review the test details (e.g., test content and time limit).
- Review the topics in the test to ensure you are prepared.
- Take 1 or 2 skill tests today! Passing the skill test is enough to get you started so don’t worry if you don’t earn a top badge, you can work on that later in your freelancing career.